Friday, August 13, 2010

12/8/10 - 13/8/10

Today I had the day off! Thank goodness, because it has been ages since I have slept in. Alex departed this morning for France, but I am sure glad she got to visit me! We camped in a tent for 4 nights, it was alot of fun. I slept in until 2pm, it was wonderful. Then, I made myself some Ravioli for lunch, well I just heated it up on the stove since it came in a can. I then packed my backpack for Bunderspitz, hoping that the rainy weather would clear and we would be able to reach the peak. I watched some episodes of the unit and just relaxed all day until dinner. After dinner, we started out our hike for the cheesemakers. We arrived at the cheesemakers just after nine pm. The plan for the Bunderspitz overnight hike is we sleep at the cheesemakers then get up at 2:30am and start hiking to reach the peak by sunrise. So, once we arrived we enjoyed a nice cup of hot chocolate and then headed for bed. I did not get much sleep as there was the sound of constant cow bell ringing in the distance, and sleeping in close quarters with people made it difficult for me to fall asleep. We then woke up at 2:30am, the sky was somewhat clear and somewhat cloudy, but we decided to give hiking a go. We made it all the way to the cow hut, which is half way to the peak. Some of the girls were really exhausted, sick, scared of heights or whatever and wanted to turn back. This made it difficult for staff to decide what to do next. We took about a 15 minute break and another thick cloud came rolling in and we couldn't see anything. We then decided that we should head back. I was really disappointed that we couldn't go all the way to the top, because I really wanted to see the sun rise. But, I guess the weather conditions were not right for hiking. And, Friday the 13th brings bad luck. It was about 6am by the time we reached the cheesemakers hut. We made our beds and gathered the rest of our stuff. The owner of the cheesemakers wanted to play his alpine horn for us, so we enjoyed the sound of an early morning horn. We heard cow bells ring all the way down until we reached the chalet. It was a little after 8am when we finally made it home. I finally became really tired, I went straight to bed and slept until 3pm. I woke up and I was still tired. I made myself maccroni and cheese for lunch and then hung out in my bed all day. We had a staff night in, movie watching spree as well. It was a good 2ish days off. I did lots of sleeping which is good, since my 6 day working streak begins tomorrow. Yippee.

No comments:

Post a Comment