Saturday, August 14, 2010

14/8/10



Weather forecast: Rain. Final destination: Oberhofen Castle. I woke up earlier than I expected, so I decided to take a shower so I could be more awake for the morning. After my shower, I made my lunch and got some coffee from the kitchen. It is not the best coffee in the world, but I drink it. My mom sent me some instant Starbucks coffee which has been wonderful, I only have a few left so I use them when I really need a morning boost. I then sat at the Stockli table, watched many vollies go to and from, and quietly ate my breakfast and drank my coffee. Mornings are normally quiet and loud, quiet because everyone is too tired to speak and loud because we are frantically slamming doors, showering and busily preparing for the day. It was almost 8:30am and so I headed over to Spycher for the morning meeting. We discussed the happenings of the day, received sign-out sheets, programme phones, maps, scavenger hunts and the infamous motion-sickness bucket. We have the motion-sickness bucket just in case a guest may need to use it, hmm. The bell rang just 5 minutes before nine. I dropped off my dirty mug in the kitchen so it could be cleaned. We then gathered in a large circle, told the guests the plan of the day and then we were ready to head down the hill. On town days, we only have to walk down the driveway, because that is where the bus picks us up and drops us off. Our first stop was Neisen; we rode the funicular train for 30 minutes until we reached the top. It was about 7C at the top and raining, so staff decided to head inside to the restaurant. I enjoyed a hot cup of coffee and ate my lunch. We chatted and observed guests to kill time. By then, it was noon and it was time to head back down the mountain. We next went to Spiez to catch a boat that we would ride all the way to the castle. It was not raining in Spiez and the weather was warmer than the top of the mountain, thank goodness. After our boat ride, we landed at Oberhofen Castle. I had not been inside the castle since training, so I decided to have one more look. I discovered another room on a floor I had not been before and I discovered some more rooms as well. I saw an old 'barn' room as well as the chapel and sacristy. There was a wedding reception in the courtyard, so that was fun to watch from the windows. After the quick castle tour, Jackie and I sat out in the courtyard gardens, chatted and listened to the music that was playing for the reception. It was nice to hear some live music and just relax, enjoy the flowers and the beautiful view. After sitting for about an hour, we decided to wander into the other gardens. My favorite garden, viney arch now had sunflowers which was very cool. I enjoyed the nice serene walk through the gardens. It was then time to leave the castle, we met the guests at the entrance at 3:45. At the same time, the wedding reception had come to a close and they were all walking out. We seemed to be in the way as they kept inching closer so we moved to the park just across the street. The wedding paraded to the end of the dock all carrying red balloons. The bride and groom were carrying a heart-shaped 'Just Married' balloon, and then they all let the balloons go together. It was kind of funny watching it happen, I took a photo of the balloons as they were in the sky. Our bus finally arrived, we then departed to Thun to pick up the other guests and we were on our way back to the chalet. It was Emma's last day of work and there was a cake made in celebration (we bake for every occasion). It was a good day in the office =).

No comments:

Post a Comment