Tuesday, July 27, 2010

27/7/10-Bunderspitz/Kandersteg.



Goal of the day: Hike to Bunderspitz and then over to Kandersteg. Check. =) We started the day early because we had to be back in time for the circus in the evening. My roommates, Kate and Susan, and Elaine and I all started our adventure at 8:30am. We hiked up to the cheesemakers hut to meet Emma. It took us an 1.5 hours to get there, altitude 1755m. Our next journey was to reach the peak of Bunderspitz. It took us  almost 3 hours to reach the peak which was 2546m high. We even saw snow along the way and took photos and I managed to fall, so my pants were nice and muddy from that. It was a steep path to the top and I could definitely feel the air get thinner as I continued to climb. But, we made it to the top. We even ate lunch right on the peak =). We had the peak all to ourselves. It was very cold at the top and I was freezing just sitting there eating my lunch. So, we took some photos and signed the guest book and then we were off for our 3 hour decent to Kandersteg. Kandersteg is the valley right next to the valley that the chalet is located in. It was very cloudy at the peak and for some of the way down to Kandersteg. But once we reached a semi-flat part, the view was absolutely stunning. The mountains were much steeper and rockier with trees all around. A picture does not justify the view, it was phenomenal. Our last part down which took about an hour was incredibly steep and slippery. There was literally a stream running through the path with rocks and mud galore. This made the descent somewhat challenging. But, we made it to Kandersteg. The path ends at KISC, Kandersteg International Scout Centre. We did not have time for a tour because we were hungry and had to get back to the chalet. We met Koka, Moushira and Megan at KISC and then we were off to dinner. The group had decided that it was Pizza and Beer time. We hiked a long way, so we definitely earned it. Koka gave us a ride back to the chalet. I enjoyed a nice hot shower and then got ready for the circus. We walked to the Circus Monti in Boden which is about 30 minutes away. It was a very nice evening. But, looking back on the day I realized that I challenged myself. I feel very accomplished and proud that I completed such a crazy hike, but I was very glad that I did it in the end. Well, after a long day and night, I am off to bed. Goodnight all. (I'll post pictures once I upload them to my computer!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment